Editor’s note: This article is an updated and corrected version of an
article published in our print edition on Aug. 31.
received new information after going to press. Unlike the shooting on West Capitol Avenue
on Aug. 27 that left a man dead, there was no press release (and little or know
attention in the regional media) about the following incident on Proctor Avenue the
same week. It took a little longer for the News-Ledger to get the basic
Somebody shot up an occupied house on Proctor Avenue and
then got away at about 10 p.m. on Thursday night. No one was hurt.
“Basically, a person walked up to the house
and fired off a high powered weapon,” said Lieutenant Scott McCartney of the
West Sacramento Police Department.
The shooting may have been connected to
arguments that the resident had had earlier with another person, who is a
suspect, McCartney told the News-Ledger. As of yesterday, no arrests had been
The shooting occurred on the 1800-block of Proctor.
Lieutenant Tod Sockman of the West Sacramento
Police Department told the News-Ledger that the shooting happened after three
male suspects arrived in a vehicle.
“The resident of the home was in the front
yard on the porch, and saw three people sneaking up on the house. One person
popped up behind the vehicle and shot at him with dozens of rounds. Based on
the volume of rounds fired on this house, it was likely an automatic weekend. We found dozens of shell casings.”
That would explain why at least one witness
reported that it sounded like “machine gun” fire.
“There were at least three people in the
house,” Sockman added, “and this included a baby. No one was hit.”
Sockman said that police were on the scene
within “about 30 seconds,” but the suspects had left in the vehicle.